This course provides students with the skills and strategies they need to make the transition to college and university preparation courses in English and other secondary school disciplines. Students will be encouraged to develop independence in a range of academic tasks. They will participate in debates and lead classroom workshops; read and interpret literary works and academic texts; write essays, narratives, and reports; and apply a range of learning strategies and research skills effectively. Students will further develop their ability to respond critically to print and media texts.
Listening and Speaking - Overall Expectation:
- demonstrate the ability to understand, interpret, and evaluate spoken English for a variety of purposes;
- use speaking skills and strategies to communicate in English for a variety of classroom and social purposes;
- use correctly the language structures appropriate for this level to communicate orally in English.
Reading - Overall Expectations:
- read and demonstrate understanding of a variety of texts for different purposes;
- use a variety of reading strategies throughout the reading process to extract meaning from texts; 3. use a variety of strategies to build vocabulary;
- locate and extract relevant information from written and graphic texts for a variety of purposes.
Writing - Overall Expectations:
- write in a variety of forms for different purposes and audiences;
- organize ideas coherently in writing;
- use correctly the conventions of written English appropriate for this level, including grammar, usage, spelling, and punctuation;
- use the stages of the writing process.
Socio-cultural Competence and Media Literacy - Overall Expectations:
- use English and non-verbal communication strategies appropriately in a variety of social contexts;
- demonstrate an understanding of the rights and responsibilities of Canadian citizenship, and of the
contributions of diverse groups to Canadian society;
- demonstrate knowledge of and adaptation to the Ontario education system;
- demonstrate an understanding of, interpret, and create a variety of media texts.