As part of the Guidance and Career Education, this course prepares students to make successful transitions to postsecondary destinations as they investigate specific postsecondary options based on their skills, interests, and personal characteristics. Students will explore the realities and opportunities of the workplace and examine factors that affect success, while refining their job-search and employability skills. Students will develop their portfolios with a focus on their targeted destination and develop an action plan for future success.
- Personal Knowledge and Management Skills
- analyse their personal characteristics, strengths, interests, skills, and competencies to determine career-related goals;
- maintain a portfolio for use in career planning that provides up-to-date evidence of knowledge, skills, interests, and experience;
- demonstrate an understanding of the personal-management skills, habits, and characteristics that could contribute to success in their selected postsecondary destinations and independent adult life.
- Interpersonal Knowledge and Skills
- demonstrate interpersonal and teamwork skills required for success in their school, work, and community activities;
- demonstrate an understanding of the elements of group dynamics in a variety of settings;
- explain ways in which they can make a contribution to their communities and ways in which the community can assist them with career planning
- Exploration of Opportunities
- use research skills and strategies to gather and interpret relevant information about work and learning opportunities;
- analyse emerging social and economic trends and their impact on individuals, workplaces, and career opportunities;
- describe, on the basis of research, opportunities in various occupational sectors and explain the requirements and challenges of selected occupations;
- demonstrate an understanding of types of workplaces, their related workplace issues, and legislation governing the workplace.
- Preparation for Transitions and Change
- demonstrate an understanding of the transition process and the strategies used to facilitate change;
- demonstrate effective use of a variety of strategies and resources for finding work and creating work;
- apply goal-setting and action-planning processes to prepare for the transition from secondary school to their first postsecondary destination and for future transitions in their career